Tuesday 1 September 2009

Introduction to Minerva's Mind

I recently co-founded Minerva's Mind. This is the first blog posted on for our on-line community: www.facebook.com/minervasmind.

May 2006: I had worked hard over the last 10 years to build my career. One month back from my first maternity leave I was appointed to my dream job: Director of HR. Admittedly this was only in an acting capacity - but it carried all the same duties, responsibilities and accountability as a permanent appointment. It just didn't carry the salary and it was temporary in contractual terms. But that didn't matter, this was my "dream job".

And that's when I discovered the glass ceiling. And I struggled with this for some time. I was the first of my close friends to have a child, and so I was trailblazing in a way. But I didn't have anyone to share my emotional and intellectual struggles with. Let me give you a flavour:

1) I was unable to work the long hours that I was accustomed to working before I had my daughter.

Therefore, I felt I wasn't delivering (in terms of work) as much as I was before (pre-children). I was still 110% committed, but had to demonstrate this in a mere 30 hours a week - not the 50+ that I previously worked. I felt I was letting the organisation down as I wasn't able to contribute in terms of my time as much as I had before.

2) I wanted one work-day a week (at least) when I could be with my daughter uninterrupted.

Being in such a responsible position at a time when the organisation was going through a crisis meant that I was needed on a operational basis every day. Although I worked flexibly, and I worked my contractual hours, this did not fit the needs of the organisation (which is incredibly family-friendly). I had a role that required me to be available at all times during the working day to respond to issues. I found this un-workable, as I did not want to sacrifice my time with my daughter.

3) Frustration - 1

Frustration because I knew that I could do the job that I been appointed to - if only I had the time. But I didn't have the time, as I had a beautiful daughter. I felt that the responsibility I had for her was greater than my commitment to my job.

5) Frustration - 2

Frustrated as no-one really seemed to understand what I was going through - including my husband. It was tough at work, due the organisational climate at that time, and I was still adjusting to corporate life with a small child. My husband wanted to spend time with me each evening, but I found myself negotiating with him - putting him last in this triad of conflicting priorities: daughter, work, hubbie.

6) Guilt

Guilty because I was putting my husband last.

7) Anger

I went to an all girls' school, with a philosophy that women can achieve as much as men. No-one ever told me about the glass ceiling. No-one ever told me about the adjustments that I would have to make to my career once I had children. Or maybe I just didn't want to believe that having a child would be that restrictive to my professional career. I thought that having a child would enhance my life as a whole - but in reality, this was at the cost of my career. And that's when I felt anger.

And the end result?

I stood down from the role. Not because of any of the above, but for another reason (professionally related), and this was the best career move I have ever made for a number of reasons. To name a few: it made me take stock of life and I was able to slow-down. I was able to invest time in myself and to come to terms with the glass ceiling.

Since then I have spoken to a range of women that have had similar situations. The factors are not necessarily the same. Often women find they can't go back to work after their second child as the child-care costs are too expensive. Or the commute to work was too far. It is for this reason that I became interested in Maternity Coaching and in particular working with women to become leaders in whatever they choose.

I met my business partner, Kate, because we had similar experiences and had similar interests in coaching. Together we have set up Minerva's Mind - working with women who are facing similar dilemas.

Commencing in October is our Minerva's Mind Coaching Club. The club meets for six group sessions over twelve weeks, where a range of different topics are explored. The groups are small so individual attention can be given to each woman. If a group of women want to know more before committing to our coaching club, we also offer taster evenings.

Please continue to look around our fan page if you want to know more information about Minerva's Mind. Alternatively, please don't hesitate to contact either Kate or myself,

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment