Friday 4 December 2009

Reflections on my first year in business: Part 1

It's almost a year since I set myself up as a HR Consultant and Coaching Pscyhologist. As always, I am reflecting back on the year, and in particular thinking about those individuals who have supported me.

To provide some context, I have to say that I have had an extremely successful year. I have more than doubled my projected turnover. Earlier this year, I increased my availability as I was getting more offers of work than I could possibly take on. As I write, I find myself facing the same situation again. I feel lucky that I'm in a position, in the middle of recession, to be able to turn down work.

I couldn't have acheived this without a good friend of mine. I first met him when I worked with him a few years ago. He found me when I was burnt-out and jaded. He gave me two key pieces of advice: Leave your job and go free-lance. And get some more qualifications.

At the time I said "I'm pregnant (with my second child), I'm moving house and I just want some stability". He silently nodded, but over the next few months, he doggedly pestered me about putting his advice into practice. Each time we met, he would find an excuse to give me some practical lessons on how to run a consultancy. He taught me about pricing, contract management etc. I kept saying to him "I'll think about it when I go on Maternity Leave", but I was interested and I did listen to him.

Before my maternity leave had finished, I had started a Masters Degree in Coaching Pyschology. I had found some "spare" time and had undertaken some consultancy work. I left my old job and haven't looked back.

During this year, the two Directors at Consulting at 216 (www.consultingat216.com) have given me tremendous support. I have known both of them for years, but our relationship has changed as I now work as a Associate for this consultancy company. They have taught me how to manage client relationships, and how to deliver a first-class, professional service. Their advice is constructive and meaningful: without them, I wouldn't keep pushing to raise my own standards.

Each morning, I wake up and I look forward to work (again). I have learnt so much this last year, both from the contracts that I have undertaken and from my Masters Degree course. I feel alive, vibrant, and most importantly, current.

My friend who found me burnt-out and jaded could obviously see my potential. I'm so glad that I took his advice. I hope that this coming year is just as fruitful and successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment