Tuesday 19 January 2010

Achieving Fulfilment from the Present

Until a couple of years ago, I had a long-term life goal. I have written about this before, but just to recap:

I entered the workplace in 1997. I had a 10 year career goal: it defined key stages, with the ultimate goal being the appointment to the role of Director of Human Resources. I am pleased to report that I did achieve this goal, but was quickly dissolutioned. Partly, although my strategy was on track, I don't think I really believed that I would achieve my goal. And once I did, I thought - if I knew what I knew now, I perhaps wouldn't have been so ambitious and taken more time out along the way.

Another long-term goal I want to share with you was one that I had whilst I was at school. At 11, I decided that I wanted to be house-captain: an appointment that is made upon entering the final year at age 17. I planned my strategy: I was involved in all house activities that enabled me to be appointed to the house committee at 16 (there were only 4 of us on the committee), and only those on the committee were eligible to be appointed house captain a year later. I worked hard that year, and I deserved the appointment. However, although the appointments were supposedly made in a beaurocratic manner, the "leaders" at the school didn't like the outcome of selection process for Head Girl. As a consolation prize, she was appointed House Captain and I was robbed. I cried for 24 hours. And I learnt a harsh lesson.

I think that these two life experiences have influenced my current thinking. I observed a few months ago that I didn't have any long term goals, and that, in fact, I was OK about this. However, I've subsequently realised, I do have goals, it's just that they're more centred in the present:

1. To provide a stable economic and emotional home.
2. To be a role model for my children
3. To be in a position whereby I can retire comfortably (in another 25 years) and be able to own a second home

Everything I do is now based around these "guiding principles" as I prefer to call them. For example, I am a govenor at my children's preschool. This not only provides me with professional development, but I regularly have to speak publically at events. This role is important to me, as I demonstrate confidence and community involvement to my daughter.

So, I think that I've learnt that instead of always aiming for long-term goals, I'm seeking more fulfillment in my day-to-day activities. Instead of always wanting more, I'm satisfied with what I currently have. And as a result, I am a happier mother, wife and coach.

No comments:

Post a Comment