Tuesday 26 January 2010

Pushing the Boundaries of Competence

We all like to be in our "comfort zone". The place where everything is safe and we confident in what we say and do. However, it is well recognised that for a person to grow, they need to be in their "learning zone". This is the place where an individual is undertaking activities that are just beyond the "comfort zone".

But how large is our individual "learning zone". Do we know when we've crossed over the boundary into the zone of incompetence?

I reflected on this recently as I completed a small project for a client. I have undertaken a range of assignments with this client, mostly using the same set of skills and knowledge. However, they asked me some months ago to undertake a specific project where I had limited knowledge. I declared this lack of knowledge from the start, but they felt that I had the appropriate skills and abilities.

There were times during the project when I was aware that I was being stretched. I was aware of what I didn't know. As a result, I used my judgement and called upon the experts when I needed help. The project was completed timely and the client was pleased with my delivery.

However, I have observed many managers and employees who have been required to work well beyond their learning zone without expert support or advice. Over a period of time, this sustained requirement to work beyond their abilities has lead to incompetence. The reasons behind this might have been either due to poor recruitment, or poor development as roles have significant changed. But the impact on the individual can be destructive both on a personal and professional level.

Having the insight to realise which zone you are currently in (the comfort, learning or beyond) is important. This allows you to make the right decisions about how you manage your work and relationships. It will either push you to raise your game, or to seek alternatives options that will prove more beneficial to you and your organisation in the long-term. Make a conscious decision about how you want to manage your learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment