Friday 1 January 2010

The Luck of the Irish: How I found my "perfect" bin.

This is a silly blog to start the New Year:

Last month I was sent a circular e-mail. It came from a good friend who doesn't normally email me (we mainly text or speak). So I opened her email with intrigue. Inside was a message saying that I should forward the email to as many people as possible and then I would experience "The Luck of the Irish".

I don't normally send on such emails. But my friend is married to an Irishman, and for some reason I believed in the power of this email. Irrational, I know, but I did it anyway. I'll let you know what I wished for (it's not going to come true so it's safe to tell you): to win the lottery.

Anyway, the next part of my story started some months previously. Our Barantia bin had broken. It was 5 or 6 years old, so we weren't that bothered. My husband and I took our kids out shopping to buy a new kitchen bin. Not the most exciting Saturday afternoon we've had in our household this year - but it took a turn for the worse when I decided that I would never find another bin to replace our broken one.

My husband got increasingly irrated with me: I couldn't understand why there were no bins out there which were aesthetically pleasing and at a reasonable price. (On an aside: Why are bins so expensive? It's ridiculous!) My husband tried to put across the point that we would never be able to find my "perfect" bin and that I was being difficult by sticking to my beliefs that there must be one out there. We gave up, came home, everyone feeling miserable: mission abondoned.

A few weeks later I arrived very early for one of my daugther's birthday parties. So I persuaded her to pop into Habitat with me. And that's when I saw it: The Perfect Bin. And the price was within the realms of acceptability. However, my dreams were shattered when I discovered there were none in stock. A couple of weeks pass, and one cold, but sunny, Thursday lunchtime I was driving near to Habitat again and decided to try my luck. Not only did they have my bin in stock, but it was 20% off. I was delighted.

And the first thing that came to mind: that Luck of the Irish email that I forwarded to everyone has come true!

Whether or not a circular email that creates good luck is a ridiculous concept or a fantastic opportunity, I am now a happy lady with my "perfect" bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment